Monday, April 30, 2012

Babies Got Beats - Weeks 5-8

Week 5
We had our first ultrasound this week. 2 gestational sacs + 2 yolk sacs = TWINS! Lou almost started crying, I just know it. I was pretty composed, but I think only because I was on pins and needles that it just numbed me. I started spotting a day before the ultrasound and I was so nervous that I made myself sick. Literally. I have never been so scared in my life. But, thank the Lord - everything looked great. I'm just going to be extra paranoid from here on out. Sometimes the thoughts of infertility consume me and I find it hard to get them out of my head. The emotional, physical and financial toll this has taken on me just to get to this point - what if something terrible happens and it was all for nothing. I wish I could get hypnotized and have all those thoughts go away so I can just enjoy this. I'll work on that....

Back to babies - they already have little heart beats - we could see the little flickers on the screen. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life. Baby A is measuring one day ahead of Baby B, which is fine. When they printed the pictures out for me I looked at Lou and said, I never thought I'd get to see one of these and it be my own. We love them so much already. Lou has nicknamed them Tito and Buck (he has some sort of obsession with these names).

When we were walking out, all the girls who work there that I have come to know and love were so excited for us. Despite the reasons for us having to be at HFI, it's been a really great experience and it's all because of the people who work there. It's going to be hard once we graduate to my OB at around 10 weeks.

Symptoms started early for me! Here are a few:

  • All day Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Just the though of meat thicker than sandwich slices absolutely repulses me
  • I have that "I haven't eaten in days" starvation feeling in my stomach but when I go to eat I can only take a couple bites
  • Crackers even taste terrible
This is the reaction we got when we told Izzy about her future siblings.

Our sweet couture babies!

Eva loves her twinsies!


Week 6
At my first ultrasound they gave me a prescription for Zofran (aka my new best friend). I was starting to stress about how I would continue to work while vomiting and feeling nauseous all day long. The area where I sit at work is one of the furthest away from the restrooms and there is only 1 trash can along the way but even it's kind of far.

I went in for my blood work and 2nd ultrasound by myself today. I was super disappointed that Lou wasn't there with me because... I got to hear the babies' heartbeats!!!! It was the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. I was just in shock. My fav Nurse got a little emotional with me. It just amazes me that you can hear such a strong heart beat coming from something that doesn't even look like a baby yet. WOW! I can't wait to watch them grow through the ultrasounds and even more when they come into the world!

I'm still on the estrogen pills that dissolve under my tongue 3 x's a day, the estrogen patches every 3 days, and the torturous progesterone in oil shots in my butt. I still have a terrible rash from the shots and also a hematoma that just returns after one goes away. It's miserable but I know it's what I have to do for the babies. They can't survive without it. BUT I will throw a freakin' party once I'm finally done!

Week 7
Today was one of those days I pray we never have to experience again. I have never been so scared in my life (and I thought the spotting was bad!) We went in today for another ultrasound and while the doc was looking at the babies' growth, I started hemorrhaging really bad. I won't go into detail - just trust me when I say it was horriffic. Doc thinks I had a subchorionic hemorrhage. So so so scary. Luckily, the babies looked fine. They are both measuring right on target at 7 weeks. Baby A had a heart rate of 136 and Baby B was 144. I've been put on bedrest for about 5 days.

I've been given a stronger anti-nausea medication because the "morning" sickness has been out of control. The Zofran was no longer working for me. Misery for a good cause! I'm not going to lie though, it's hard to think that way while I'm puking 5 times in an hour.

Week 8
I'm still going twice a week for blood work and an ultrasound. I look forward to the day they start weaning me off all the hormones. I went off the shots for 2 days because I ran out and the pharmacy didn't ship them to me on time. When I went in for bloodwork, my progesterone had dropped to below the cutoff point needed for the babies to survive. This proved my doc's point that the progesterone shots are crucial because my body doesn't make enough on it's own. Luckily, the meds got there the same day as the blood work, so when I went in again this week, my progesterone was back up where it needed to be. Hallelujah! Everything looked great - I am so lucky to get see my babies twice a week. Us once-labeled "infertiles" get spoiled at the RE's (reproductive endocrinologist) office.

No comments:

Post a Comment